20.2.11

Postcards From Italy #1 - Protestant Cemetery.

I'm going to talk about my trip to Rome slowly (yes, I know I'm a bit late, but I only had patience to go through the thousand photographs I took now).
Today I'm going to show you a place I was amazed by, it is the Non-catholic Cemetery or the Protestant Cemetery. As you can tell by the name it was a place were Orthodox Christians, Jews, Muslims and other non-Christians were burried. It is also a cemetery for foreign people (I guess I only saw one or two Italian graves). It is one of the oldest cemeteries in Europe. Beside this facts this is the place where poets like John Keats, Pearcy Shelley and Carsten Hauch are burried.
There were hundreds of graves but it wasn't terrifying at all, it was a calm and peaceful place instead. I was surprised by such gorgeous flowers and statues by the graves and the good cemetery maintenance. There were lots of cats there (alive) who were being kept by voluntary people who fed and took care of them.
You can learn more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment